I didn't think I was ever going to blog again but then I realized that the few things I had taken the time to blog about when Sawyer was a baby were imprinted in my memory and I wanted to try to capture those moments again.
There is SO much to catch up on but I feel like I need to start with the pregnancy and birth...
We knew we wanted another baby but weren't exactly sure when we wanted it...then Obamacare happened and all of a sudden our insurance was RIDICULOUSLY EXPENSIVE so I decided we needed to have a baby before the end of 2015 in order to not have to pay eight million dollars. So we started trying in November and, as seems to be our thing, were pregnant within two months. We were sort of shocked that it had happened that fast (but seriously we shouldn't have been considering my getting pregnant history). Our timing was great for insurance, not so great for summer pregnancy hotness, due date was September 29.
The pregnancy was fairly easy, only different than the others that I got super woozy every afternoon and instead of not feeling like eating at all and losing weight, I was STARVING and gained weight.
Around eight weeks I started bleeding and was positive I'd miscarried again. It was on a Saturday and I had to wait all weekend to get in to see the doctor so I spent the weekend taking it easy in hopes that it might make a difference but basically resigned to losing another baby. I was pretty sad but didn't want to wallow until we knew for sure. Miraculously when we had our ultrasound that Monday the baby was perfect. I had a clot that had formed near my cervix and was bleeding when it dissipated. I was put on exercise restriction (which I proudly decided applied to my entire pregnancy and apparently entire life afterward...) and had no other issues with the baby from then on.
This time around there was a blood test that could be taken as early as 10 weeks that can tell you the sex of the baby. We didn't have it done until 15 weeks so we could find out while we were on vacation in Kauai celebrating our ten year anniversary. I wasn't quite sure why I had decided to have the testing done since I had decided long ago that we were going to be a house of boys. I just knew all the babies I lost were my girls and I was only having sons. Matt felt the same way. It was a boy.
As is the way with me, I wanted it to be a fun surprise for Matt and I both so I asked the doctor to call and leave a message on my voice mail with the results. Funny story...I forgot and I answered the phone. While Matt was on the pot. So we found out in the bathroom of our hotel in Kauai as I held the phone up to the door. It was a GIRL!
My initial feeling was not the excitement I expected at finally getting my girl. It was so weird but I was almost sad I wasn't getting the house full of boys I had envisioned. Sawyer had stolen my heart so completely (as I expected he would) and I had saved all his clothes for his little brother. It was so strange to feel almost sad about getting the girl I had always wanted but it didn't take very long to be STOKED about the little princess heading our way.
Then I got huge and got symphysis pubis disorder and felt like I was getting kicked in the crotch ALL THE TIME. EVEN WHEN I SLEPT. This pregnancy was definitely harder than Sawyer. And hotter. I was basically angry from 20 weeks on. I'm sure I was awesome to live with.
The silver lining was GIRL CLOTHES. So so many.
The last half of the pregnancy is basically a blur. I was trying to stay cool, keep Sawyer entertained and keep from saying "ow ow ow ow ow" every time I took a step.
We scheduled her c-section for September 22 about six weeks out. At that appointment she was already 6 1/2 lbs and the tech predicted if we went through with the c-section she'd be about 8lbs 15 oz., if we waited until her due date about 9lbs 4oz. Pretty much exactly the same weight as her brother.
At my 38 week checkup the doctor measured me and then kind of...looked down? She didn't want to tell me how big I was measuring. I forced it out of her because I was dying to know. 43 weeks. I was measuring 5 weeks ahead of where I was. Basically HUGE. So so huge. She was also transverse (sideways) and not showing any signs of moving. This basically meant I was so so so so uncomfortable because her head and butt were sticking out of me in weird ways.
The next week my Mom and Dad both came to town (as well as Matt's parents) and we all divided duties for taking care of Sawyer and things around the house. The night before my c-section I showered and curled my hair, just ike I had for Sawyer. Unfortunately the good night's sleep I was hoping for didn't happen. Sawyer must have sensed something was going on and he was in our bed, tossing and turning and crying all night, which kept all of us, including Watson, up all night. So tired.
The morning of her birthday we woke up super early and dropped Watson off at our sweet pet sitter's house (she had offered to be awake so we didn't have to pay for an extra night). Then we drove to the hospital. I wore the same outfit I'd worn to arrive at the hospital with Sawyer, it felt like good luck. My oooooold red Shade shirt and Banana velour pants. So sexy.
We checked in, got to our room, changed our clothes and waited. Dr Langer was late again! This time it was bad traffic on Shea from Fountain Hills. Last time it was a dead car battery. It wasn't too long though. About 7:30 they rolled me in to the OR and had Matt wait in the tiny waiting room. I got all prepped and it was showtime! I had the same anesthesiologist, who was awesome and hilarious. Only difference this time was the spinal was causing me some discomfort in my shoulders and I was having a little bit of a hard time breathing. I was trying to hold still but it was starting to be really uncomfortable so I was shifting a bit to try to adjust and he told me I had to hold still and that I was fine, the spinal just sometimes made your body THINK you weren't breathing even though you were. Awesome. She hadn't flipped head down so it took a little while to get her out. I heard them laugh and say her foot popped out but Dr Langer was having a hard time getting her all the way out. I knew the second she was out because there was a HUGE release of pressure and I could finally breathe. Unfortunately (since I had wanted some skin time and time to let her get some cord blood) she wasn't breathing right away so they had to whisk her to the pediatric area fast to make sure she was ok. She started crying fairly quickly and everything was perfect. She was 9lbs 15oz!!!! 22" !!! and was born at 8:07 AM. She had a ton of beautiful goldish blonde hair and the cutest button nose. I was surprised that she didn't look more like Sawyer. She was more of a Murphy/Morris baby and had Matt's lips and eyes.
They had to give her some formula in the OR because her blood sugar was low but once I was all stitched up and back in my room she latched right on and nursed for almost an hour. After that we were moved to our room and I was up and walking by about 2:00 that day. The nurse told me she'd never had a patient sit up and walk to the bathroom on their own that soon. Apparently I feel no pain. Sometimes it worries me but usually I'm just really grateful that tough procedures and surgeries aren't as difficult for me as they are for some.
Sawyer came to meet his sister and was so darling. He held her and kissed her and said thank you for his Green Goblin legos that she brought for him from heaven. Having both of them together almost made my heart burst.
She cluster fed the entire first night, waking about every half an hour then slept almost the entire next day. I was so tired but so happy she was here. My milk came in the next morning - so fast! - so she was happily full and slept a lot better our second night.
I went home the morning of the third day and resumed life with two kids. Holy crap.
No comments:
Post a Comment