I'll be 39 weeks tomorrow and I woke up last night thinking that maybe my water broke. Turns out I probably peed my pants just a little and the primrose oil I've been, um, putting there to help me dilate probably just leaked. It was disappointing and disgusting all at the same time.
My doctor ordered an extra ultrasound for me at my weekly checkup this week. The first words out of her mouth after she saw the results were "you have a big old baby in there, woman!" Monster Baby has continued to grow and turned into Super Monster Baby. He was measuring at 8lbs 9oz and in the 89th percentile for growth, which are both higher numbers than were estimated at the last ultrasound. His head is still up in the 90th percentile somewhere as well. Um, yikes. Even more interesting is that he seems to be sucking the life out of me. Since my last appointment I've lost three pounds and he has continued to gain size at an uncanny rate. Fan freaking tastic, right!? Oh and even more fun, I've made no progress at all. 1/2 cm dilated and 50% effaced, just like the last appointment.
Normally, ultrasounds can be a pound or so off, and are usually estimating high, but knowing Matt's family history of large babies and emergency c-sections, my doctor decided that if I show up to my next appointment on Monday morning and I'm not making any progress, she will probably schedule a c-section. If I'm dilated to at least a 1 1/2 she'll schedule an induction. Obviously a c-section isn't ideal, so I'm doing everything I can think of on my end to encourage some dilation and softening up in here. Thus the primrose oil. I'm really hoping to get some dilation happening so we can go for the induction rather than a c-section. Now, in an ideal world this baby would just come on it's own. I'm not a huge fan of inducing and I doubt anyone is a huge fan of a c-section, but I'm especially not fond of being in labor for a whole day and THEN having to do a c-section. I think in that case you basically put your body through 90% of natural birth and the side effects of that and then you have to also recover from major surgery. So, hopefully I go into labor today or tomorrow and avoid both situations, but I have a feeling I'll be in my appointment on Monday where we'll be making a plan and most likely this kid will be born Tuesday or Wednesday.
SO, this weekend I'll be doing last minute things like installing the car seat and getting the co-sleeper set up in our bedroom as well as hopefully doing some cleaning. I also have to figure out a plan for the puppy since our existing plan is on vacation in California until Wednesday. Luckily there are plenty of people around who love Watson and have offered to help out.
Hopefully I'll be back here Monday with a final update as to when our lives get turned upside down! I'm excited to meet this little boy but I'm also nervous and I think in a little bit of denial that it's actually happening. Hold me?
Saturday, July 14, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Good luck. I will pray for you to dilate. Not having had a regular birth, I can't compare, but c/s aren't too bad.
ReplyDeleteEep! That's a big boy! I hope he ends up being a bit smaller, but at least you know he won't be underweight ;) Maybe he's just waiting for you to post pictures of his nursery??? (hint, hint!)
ReplyDelete