Sunday, July 29, 2012

And Then I Had a Baby

It's hard to believe that after the two years of hell trying to get him here, we have a real, live, grown in my body baby living at our house.

Wow.

Sawyer Michael was born Friday, July 20 at 8:10am. He was 9lbs 4oz, 20.5 inches and he is absolutely fabulous.  See?!

Picture Credit: Sorensen Studios
He has gold-red hair and it's looking like his eyes will be blue, but that is still to be determined.  He has HUGE hands and feet and other than the super fun newborn rash that has plagued us since day one, he's pretty much perfect.  I'm whispering this next part so I don't jinx us, but when I say perfect, I mean it in every sense.   This kid sleeps and eats like a CHAMP, usually going at least three, usually four or five hours between feedings at night.  He latched on the first time in less than 30 seconds, which my nurse said she's never seen before.  We had to correct the latch so that his amazing suction abilities (another first - our pediatrician said in 14 years she's never seen such a strong suck from a baby) didn't pull my nipples completely off my body but now that's fixed and other than some minor discomfort, nursing is a breeze.  He definitely goes to the bathroom like a newborn, going through what seems like a million diapers a day and he seems to have an uncanny ability to pee out of the top of his diaper, which I think is related to the vaseline covered gauze we have to put on his man parts thanks to the circumcision (PS - who ever thought THAT was a good idea?  "Guys!  I have an idea!  We'll take the top tiny bit of skin off the most sensitive part of the baby and we'll CUT IT OFF!!!  Brilliant!"  Not.)  but *knock on wood* we've yet to have a blow-out.  I could go on and on but I've been around my fair share of newborns and he is literally the best one I've seen.  I swear I'm not just saying that because he's my kid.  I'll be the first to admit that he spent his first week looking a lot like a very tiny angry old man.  I'm not above admitting he looked totally weird for a while there.  Now that the swelling is going down, his rash is going away and he is actually opening his eyes he's looking pretty darn cute.  I was scared for a minute there. 

I'm working on his birth story, though it's not as involved or as interesting as many are, but I figure I might as well document it anyway.  I'll try to find the time to get it out there really soon, which in my new timeline means maybe by December?

Thanks to those of you who have already reached out with well wishes and congratulations.  I am so grateful to have had all of you with me on this journey.  It has really been a rough couple of years for us, and although the pain of the miscarriages may never go away, having this little man here does make so many things make sense.  We are so lucky to have him.

----------------

OH, as an FYI to those of you who care, I just discovered that my other blog is broken.  I can't get into the admin page to publish anything.  I don't even remember how to get into my host files...oops.  My best friend's husband is my host so I need to get a hold of him to get in but after that, I'm worried because I seem to have forgotten all the things I taught myself about HTML and running a real blog so I'm not feeling hopeful that I'll be able to get in soon, but I'll sure try!!


No comments:

Post a Comment