People who say pregnancy lasts for nine months are big fat liars. Know why?! Because I'm six months (24 weeks) pregnant and I have four months (16 weeks) until my due date. Fer rude. It's all in that "measuring from your last period" thing...and why it never occurred to me that 40 weeks is ten months I truly have no idea. What it comes down to is that pregnant lasts a looooooooong time.
That being said, I feel GREAT! I had an appointment this morning and things look good. Doc says she can't believe I'm 24 weeks and showing so little (another win for being tall and having cavernous hips). I tried to take a belly shot today but the shirt I'm wearing is pretty baggy and it's hard to see much, so I'll attempt another one latere in a more form fitting top. Our little man is now measuring about a week behind, which I thought would be bad until I remembered that gigantor babies run in Matt's family. Having him measure small is actually a good thing for my lady parts and my desire to avoid a C-section. We (ok mostly my doctor) are going to keep a close eye on the mister in my last month and we'll discuss inducing me if he's looking at all over 8 pounds. I'm not too keen on inducing labor, just because I'd like him to cook until he's good and ready to come out, but if that means he's going to break size records, he's coming out early to save his Mommy's sanity.
I only have two minor complaints about being pregnant and they are both linked to sleeping. First, sleeping exclusively on my sides is causing major hip pain. I read up on it and it's the elastin hormone that allows my hips to spread to make room for the baby...but it also allows them to compress due to the pressure of sleeping on them. Of course, as most of you know, it becomes more difficult to sleep on your stomach as the baby grows (though I'm still somewhat able to do that if I use a leg as a sort of kick-stand) and sleeping on your back is also discouraged due to the weight of the uterus squishing some major vein or artery. So basically I must sleep on my side...and sleeping on my side hurts, which means I don't sleep well. This leads to my next complaint of being tired. So you see I'm in a vicious circle here, which I'm sure is familiar to most, if not all women who have ever been pregnant. I have a list of life grievances to discuss with God someday and pregnant women not being able to sleep has officially been added to the list. Of course I absolutely acknowledge that this pregnany has been SUPER easy and, even if it weren't, I feel so unbelievably lucky and blessed to have what appears to be a very healthy little boy growing away I can take anything uncomfortable or annoying pregnancy wants to throw my way. Not that I'm sending out invitation or anything...
Project nursery has sort of started. I have one DIY project for our guest room I need to finish before I go full steam ahead but I've at least settled on a color scheme (navy, shades of orange, grey and white) and bought an awesome rug - found on eBay for a seriously awesome deal. I'm now in the process of narrowing down fabrics for bedding and curtains as well as wall art and light fixtures. I'll start posting little glimpses here and there as we get going. If you'd like to see my brain dump, you can find my nursery inspiration pins here on Pinterest.
I do want to say a word about Matt. He is, without a doubt, the best man in the world for me and both I and this little boy are SO lucky to have him. This may sound strange but just watching him take care of our puppy makes me realize what an amazing father he is going to be. I swear, any woman who wants to test out a man's fatherly instincts should get a baby dog. He is kind even when he's fuming mad and strict without being a douchebag. He takes time every day to play and cuddle and love on Watson. Then there's the way he takes care of me...words cannot express how good he is. I've had a couple of melt downs in the past week. One was over something pretty major and relevant but the other was so completely ridiculous and trivial it makes me laugh now. That sweet man of mine treated team both as the big deals I felt they were at the time. Having him there to help reassure and comfort me, as well as make sure I had everything I needed to feel better was amazing. Of course this isn't new behavior brought on by my state of gestation, but it meant so much to me to had him be so supportive and wonderful when I felt the world was out to get me, even though it wasn't. I've said it before. Marrying Matt was the single best decision I've ever made.
So there you have it. 24 weeks down. It's gone by really fast but I can't decide if I want the next 16 to hurry up or slow down!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Awww, I'm so glad you have such a good man. And after seeing your nursery pins on Pinterest, I cannot WAIT to see what kind of nursery you pull together. It seems so fresh and modern!
ReplyDeleteKate! I am so excited for you!! I totally understand about the sleeping issue. The only thing that saved me for the last three months was sleeping in a recliner.
ReplyDeleteIf you don't already have a big giant body pillow they are a MUST for sleeping pregnant. I actually have 2! I always started on my side but when I woke up I was on my back. Not much you can do to prevent yourself from rolling while you are sleeping, but the body pillows help. Bummer that you are having hip pain though :( I had some but I think it was from breaking my pelvis years ago as my hips don't move, hence the c/s.
ReplyDeleteYou look fabulous btw and I'm glad you feel fab too.
I hear you on the 9/10 months thing!
ReplyDeleteI'm not sleeping well either, and my hip/lower back pain is worse this second time. I think things shifted for good after Owen was born and now they are just whacky.
If you haven't already been, I can't say enough good things about a chiropractor. I go about once a month, usually after a particularly bad night when my hips just really hurt. After the adjustment I am good for a long time. I'm hoping this will keep sciatica at bay too. (I had that last time near the end -- OW!!)